Monday, February 12, 2007

Ok--Time To Speak Up

Better late than never..
It's been awhile since i joined this kal--and I am still stymied with a pattern--but I am getting there. Lots of things going on at home as well I won't bore you with (think--divorce,with children involved--that should be warning enough)

1. How did you find this KAL?
The KAL 2007 webpage.

2. What do you plan on making with your Alpaca fiber? Crocheting, knitting, or spinning?
If knitting or crocheting give us details on the yarn!
I want to make myself a faroese shawl--but not an overly lacy one or anything
I have actually (see I must be mad) considered making an EZ pi shawl!
hence the pattern stymie--I will be knitting it
I have to figure out where I have hidden my stash of alpaca--I have it bagged up on its own, sitting on a shelf where I cannot reach it so I won't just sit and stare and pet it.
The yarn is a bulky weight (yes, I am still sure I want to make the shawl :-) ) 50/50 alpaca cotton blend
I have several colours of it--I think I have enough off white to make a whole shawl with no problem, but I also have some black and green, in case I want to stripe it--or embellish it--or make something entirely different with it


3. Have you worked with Alpaca before? If so, your favorite past project knit with Alpaca? I have used many different alpaca blends before--and I ahve one lone skein of 100% alpaca sitting in my knittig basket (this is the one I take out and pet alot)--it's dark grey and 110 yds--and cost me $1.50 at the lys as it was the last skein--and I had to have it--even if it is fingering weight!
I have several alpaca blend hats and scarves I have made, and so do many friends and family members (those who are not allregic) and due to a distinct error on my part while making a head scarf one of my 5yo dd's dolls has a quite lovely alpaca shawl/blanket as well
Actually the most fun I had was making that darned doll shawl--although I was most upset to hand it over to a doll who normally sleeps under a pillow anyway!


4. What is your absolute favorite Alpaca yarn? What weight do you prefer working with? if it has alpaca in it--I am a very happy girl
I have been to alpaca farms (and one day I swear I shall have my own--and not just so I have to learn how to shear and spin either--although those are perks for me :-) )
Right now I actually prefer to knit with hand spun and worsted weight
it's cold here in MD between the mountain peaks (we do literally live in a valley between 2 mountains) and the dry chill air bothers my hands alot--so it's easier right now to work with somewhat thicker yarns
although in warmer climes I enjoy sports weight yarns as well

5. What sorts of things would you like to see this group do? you mean other than support one another? lol
I enjoy all sorts of kals and swaps and exchanges

Would you like any contests, prizes, surveys, swaps? oh yes--lovely

if I missed anything I apologise
I am off running now

so much to do
so little time :-)

Tabitha

1 comment:

Zenknitter LesleyD said...

Welcome to the KAL Tabitha!!!