Sunday, January 7, 2007

Alpaca Lover

What a wonderful idea. I've actually thought of doing this before but just never had the time to follow through with it. So glad that someone got it started. I raise alpacas on our small farm in Tennessee and think their fiber is the greatest. I hear stories on blogs all the time about how alpaca can't be used for one type of project or another. I think you just have to get to know its characteristics to properly use it to its fullest. Contrary to popular belief it can be used in projects with cables. You just have to know that if you're going to knit cables don't use a worsted or heavier yarn. It is best to use say a sportweight. I hope that we can dispell some of the myths and get others to learn to appreciate this fiber the way that those of us that work with it now do.

I am about to embark on a sweater project using an alpaca silk blend. It will be the Shocking! Jacket from IK winter 2004. It is a Veronik Avery design. The hard part is deciding which color to use. There are about five that really call to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others will be doing with their alpaca fiber.

1 comment:

Shadkitty said...

I agree! Alpaca is a wonderful fiber to work with. :) It was one of my firsts, and I am still patial to it.

Another myth is that it's too expensive. This isn't always true. I've seen sales on Alpaca yarns for as low as $2.50 a ball! That's the same price as many fakey acrylic yarns.